Thursday, April 22, 2010

One True Friend


When I was younger I used to dream of having a friend that I would do everything with. We would go to the pool together, have sleep overs, talk on the phone, tell each other about the boys that we like, and be able to grow up together and count on one another. This friend would want to spend time with me as much as I wanted to spend time with them and we would be like two peas in a pod.

Insert reality……I did have friends here and there. We did things together but I always felt like I had to chase them to spend time with them. Maybe it is that whole female thing where I want to be pursued LOL I don’t know. Anyway….I never felt like I ever had a best friend. I tried to be a good friend to many people and did get along with all different clicks and groups. I was the Dear Abby person that people could talk to about boyfriend/girlfriend issues etc. This is a gift that God has given me and He uses me in this way still 20 + years later!

A few years ago when the movie “Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants” came out I asked my husband to go to the movie with me. Little did I know how deeply this movie would affect me. I loved the movie but the emotions that God brought forth in me didn’t feel so good. God used this movie to help me start to deal with this longing that I have in having a good female friend that I can count on. I could not even talk when we left the theatre. When we arrived at the restaurant my husband asked me what was wrong and I asked him if I could have 10 min. I didn’t want him to say anything because I couldn’t talk. I just had him hold me in the parking lot of Applebee’s while I cried and cried and cried for 10 minutes straight. Talk about a release. I had held all these emotions in for so long and God had brought them to the forefront so that I could start to deal with them. My husband was very supportive and I felt safe and so very loved! He has been my very best friend since I met him and I poured out my heart to him about the situation. I felt a little better after that.

It has been a few years since that night and every once in a while I still feel that longing. God showed me after that night that He wants me to have that longing for Him! I need to put that focus and time toward my relationship with Him. Sure it is nice to have friends and I do have a good group of friends that I love dearly and we spend time together when we can. Families and activities prevent us from getting together very often but I see them at church twice a week etc. I don’t get to talk to them as often as I would like but I try to be content with that. I trust God and when there are times that I need to spend time with one or many of them….God provides the opportunity and place for that to happen. In the other moments that maybe my husband is busy and I would really like a female perspective….I do reach out once in a while.

Do I have one that I talk to on the phone every day? No. Do we do many of the things on my dream list? Not necessarily but we do pray for each other and have a girls night out now and then. I know that if I really need them….I can call and they will be there. God is still working in this area……He is fixing this place in my heart that feels like I am missing something on some days. When I feel that longing…..He steps right into that place and reminds me that He is my all in all! He is the one that is smitten with me. He is ALWAYS with me whenever I need a friend or feel insecure about a situation or maybe I need some advise. I don’t even have to pick up the phone……He is there and I am never alone. He speaks to me in ways that reach me so deeply that no one else could ever touch!

There is a song by Nicole Nordeman that I heard years ago that made me cry as God reminded me just WHO He is. It is called “I AM.” Here is a couple verses……I bawled like a baby at the concert when I heard this for the first time. God spoke to this longing that night in a way that deeply touched me.

Pencil marks on a wall
I wasn't always this tall,
You scattered some monsters from beneath my bed,
You watched my team win,
You watched my team lose,
You watched when my bicycle went down again,


CHORUS:
And When I was weak unable to speak,
still I could call You by name,
and I said “Elbow healer, Superhero,
come if You can,” and You said “I am”


Only 16, life is so mean, what kind of curfew is at ten PM
You saw my mistakes, You watched my heart break
Heard when I swore I’d never love again

CHORUS:
When I was weak, unable to speak,
still I could call You by name,
and I said “Heart-ache Healer, Secret-keeper,
be my Best Friend” and You said “I am”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXCXEb1Qupg (listen to the song)

Do you ever feel that longing and you don't quite know what you are longing for?  In those moments....try reaching out to God.  He is drawing you to Him.  He is the missing piece....the love that you have always wanted....the friend you can always trust.  He is our everything!  Try Him.....He is the best friend you could ever have!

No comments:

Post a Comment